Sunday, December 11, 2011

What if you had your dog's DNA tested and discovered that he/she wasn't the breed that you thought they were?

True Colors Shining Through: DNA Testing Mix Breed Dogs



What would happen if you had your dog's DNA tested and discovered that your Siberian husky mix was really a golden retriever mixed with poodle and Dalmatian? Would you believe it? Would the new information change anything about the way you train, exercise and relate to your dog?



Many people are choosing to test the DNA of their mixed breed dogs to discover their animal's true heritage. Many of those people are finding the results surprising.



Although the breed specific books often make generalizations like, “Dobermans are one man/woman dogs.” Or, “Pugs are stubborn and very hard to train.” Statements like this are not universal. There are characteristics that are prevalent in specific breeds. For example, most border collies are obsessed with balls and/or Frisbees and will herd all of the dogs at the dog park. But this is not the case for all border collies. In fact, if we collect data on 1,000 border collies, we’d see a ton of behavioral variability within the breed. Some are couch potatoes, some have no interest in fetching and some can’t be bothered to herd anything.



From a trainers perspective the heritage of a dog doesn’t change how I train. Every dog is an individual. Some are motivated by food, others go crazy over balls and some would rather play “tug” than do anything else. I use what works best to motivate the dog and try to teach the human good training skills.



There seems to be two consumer mindsets about DNA testing. One group of people just wants to appease their curiosity. Finding out the truth is exciting but in no way changes how they feel about their dogs. In fact, these people can often be found running around the dog park challenging other dog owners to guess the breed makeup of their dogs so that they can astound everyone with the true results.



The other camp seems to take a much more serious approach to the test results. Finding out that their dog is something other than what it was believed to be generates a slew of negative responses.



This group of people seems to have an emotional investment in what they believe to be true and learning otherwise is unacceptable. Oftentimes the results are so unbelievable that they think the information must be wrong and they have somehow been ripped off. To get a bird’s eye view of some of these responses go to Pissed Consumer You will be able to read consumer complaints sent to Wisdom Panel and the comopany's responses.



For me, the results would quell my curiosity but otherwise wouldn’t change how I feel about my dogs or what we do together. I know what makes them happy, regardless of their true heritage.



So what do you think? Which camp would you be in? If you have a background in genetics, please chime in. Is it true that “DNA never lies?”



http://petcentral.startribune.com/blog/t…What if you had your dog's DNA tested and discovered that he/she wasn't the breed that you thought they were?
mmm i would still love my dog anywayWhat if you had your dog's DNA tested and discovered that he/she wasn't the breed that you thought they were?
It would not bother me in the least as that would still be my dog, and my pal. Worthy of mutual love for each other. However, I might be a tad disappointed if my Rottweiler actually had some Pomeranian in him.
I DONT CARE, I BOUGHT MINE AND I HAVE PAPERS, and if people are so concerned about that kind of thing, they should buy a pure breed and period.
ummm too lon to read but i have paper and stuff on my 170+ lbs newfoundland and pitbull


I didn't read it but i would still love my dog and think to myself no wonder!
Well, my current small, dark and handsome guy is a mix so it would be fun to see which breeds are in his ancestry. However, if I had paid big (or even not so big) bucks for a dog represented to me as purebred, I would love my dog regardless but I'd go after that lying breeder with every legal thing I could do. It's fraud, plain and simple. I believe such a person can be stripped of their AKC privileges and fined. It's not enough but maybe it would make that person think twice before selling mixes as purebreds again.
Nothing would change the way I feel about my dog.



He is a pedigree though. I have had 3 DNA tests done on him. Two for genetic diseases and one for profile.



The DNA profile was free as I was getting other tests done and it confirmed he is pedigree.



If the results said he was a mix for some reason I would notify the breeders and love him all the same.
I'm in your category, it's pure curiosity each dog is an individual, I've had more than my share of ';stoner collies'; come through my house... I recently recommended this test to a family who adopted one of my dogs after they sent his picture 3 months after he went to his home, the vet estimated he's going to hit over 65lbs.



before: http://bcr.w2c.net/gallery/Notch-Images/…

after: http://bcr.w2c.net/gallery/Notch-Images/…
those DNA can not tell all the breeds in a dog, they seek out the primary breed and a secondary breed thats it...either way i wouldnt care what my dog was mixed with still take care of it the same.
There is a catch! Only 100 dog breeds can actually be identified so if your dog is part Jindo or Anatolian Shepherd, it would be ineffective. And jindo mixes are quite common here in northern california.



DNA never lies especially on paternity test! Well i guess it's 99.99% accurate...you get the picture. If your not the dad...im sorry but your not! But since dog dna testing isn't accredited who knows how accurate each company actually is. Also it depends how much of the dna is actually being tested. That is why forensic dna is inconclusive at times.



It's interesting all right though. If you handle lots of mutts though you kind of can tell what dogs are mixed with. I'm all for it....if it become accredited and more dogs are added into the database. It's just like buying all those dog clothes for dogs just another thing for dog owners to waster their money on! Oh Yea!
It would make no difference to me if it turned out my westies were part poodle. They are both altered and house pets, I've had no interest in showing them or breeding them and wouldn't waste my money on DNA testing.
If I found out my French Brittany wasn't a French Brittany, I wouldn't really do anything different, I know her personality and I know what needs to be worked on. For my bully breed, I'd like to have a DNA to find out what she is a mix of...we aren't sure if she's a Pit Bull or a Bull Terrier. But, it is all for curiosity, it wouldn't change the way I treat her or train her I already know I have a bully breed and that being extremely careful in her training (because of their bad reputation) is extremely important. We are extremely adamant that she have extremely good manners because we don't want anyone percieving a mannerism incorrectly and freaking out around her. But, either way, I'd treat my pups the same.
It's not about having a pure breed. Having one of those, obviously would mean we wouldn't want to know our breed. But because we rescued 2 mixed breeds from the pound, my family and I are curious what breeds they are, they look australian cattle dog because the male has blue merle markings and the build of a cattle dog. But in no way would finding out what they are, change how we live and play with them. they are family now :)
Shoot it and buy one that's not a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment