Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dog owners... Roughly how much time do you spend with your dog everyday and what do you do?

This is just a poll, I am not looking for advice.



This includes walks, playing, petting, bathing, etc. Any time that you dog gets to spend with your rather than laying around by themselves.Dog owners... Roughly how much time do you spend with your dog everyday and what do you do?
My dogs get an hour of free time in the house with me in the morning. They're crated for 4 hours while I'm at work. I go home at lunch and we spend 45 minutes on potty breaks and play time. 4 more hours in the crate. Then from 4 pm to 10 pm we do potty breaks, walks, training class, brushing, etc. From 10 pm to 8 am they have free run of the house. They don't always spend the time with me, but they can sleep on the bed if they so choose.



So approximately 18 hours a day we're together in some way, shape or form.Dog owners... Roughly how much time do you spend with your dog everyday and what do you do?
Like all day!

I like to sit on the couch with her and watch a movie

We cuddle. Its to warm for that now!
At least three hours daily.



This includes a mixture of walks, light training, playing, petting, feeding/watering, scratching, etc.



It's all random--my dogs arent on a 'major' schedule. We have a lot of fun together!
My girl does everything with me :) Except bloody shopping :)
bout 11 hours i walk them if its not too hot and i bathe them once every 2 weeks
well about... an hour before I go to work and a hour at lunch then 5-7 hoursa after work- we play chase and fetch and grooming and watch TV and take naps and swim and go for walks and Ty pulls me on my roller skates some times:)
As for me. I have 3. 2 chihuahuas, and a mini dachshund.



I don't work, as a result, I spend most of the day with mine. Whether it's playtime, or they lay down for a nap with me, or sit with me for cuddles while I read a book, or watch tv.



Even computer time isn't sacred. My male chihuahua can be quite demanding for extra laptime alone with mommy.
I'm at work for approximately 9 hours.



We walk before work.



After work, it's all Luke.



We have flyball practice, fetch, random training...



After all the outside, we're inside cuddle bugs.



Then, we go out again, (assuming it's not dark!) and work over what we learned that day.



He's a blessing.
I spend more time with him at night since both my boyfriend and i have full time jobs. I spend at least 45 minutes in the morning with him before I go to work (taking him out, playing with him, just hanging out.. he's usually still groggy from his sleep :) ) and our dog walker spends about 45 minutes during the day and when we get home, we are always with him from 6PM until he goes to bed at 10pm. During that time we feed him, we let him follow us around the house, we dedicate 20 minutes every night for new trick training and 30 minutes walking and another 20 minutes just goofing off at home. We also take him out for pee and poo as well. On the weekends, we always take him to a dog park for hard play for about 45 minutes and socializing with other pups. We also take him to training class every saturday morning.
I'm with mine almost 24/7....with the exception of heading out to the grocery store or doctor etc., they are with me constantly. IF I leave them home, usually atleast one of my teen daughters is home with them.



As for 'what we do together'.....everything. Play, sleep, eat, drive, walk, watch tv, work in the yard, swim.....pretty much everything. They don't let me out of their site!
i just got a puppy and have only had it for 3 weeks... pretty much the only time we dont spend together is when she is sleeping in her kennel or i am at work... which is from mon-fri 5am-noon... and still at that time she is not by herself because my boyfriend is home... other than that just when we go shopping, dinner, or movies is when she is by herself... as far as things we do we go for walks, go to parks, go to my dads land, play around the house, go to the pet supply store once a week and find a new toy or treat, and go to puppy training class.
This is a refreshing change of pace an interesting question. I get up between 4-430 am so I can walk with my puppy on the treadmill (used to do it outside but to many people warned me about my neighborhood) then I keep my dogs with me while I eat then I feed them sometimes we do the treadmill later but usually the same routine. Then I shower and we go out to play in the yard with toys they also have a sand box and a kiddie pool. The puppy and I usually work on come while she is playing and a little heel in the yard. Then my husband comes home and he runs in the yard and throws toys too with them. Then I leave for work and he plays with them some before he goes to bed. He gets up and does some stuff with them usually an outside walk with the puppy and more outside play.

When i get home we play more outside and if it isn't too hot we go for another shorter walk if it is comfortable out and not raining we go to the bigger park with trails and lots of shade for a long walk.

The older dog doesn't come much he has little energy and would prefer to use it chasing a Frisbee.



On the weekends we play play and play some more inside and out if we have an event we can take the puppy to we take her we try to keep her well socialized and we are trying to teach her to be very obedient to and working very hard on her recall so we can sometimes let her off the lead. I have all day with the dogs on the weekend they do get a little spoiled come monday because they get so much attention on the weekend
I LOVE spending time with my dog. I'm currently on a quest to find all the dog-friendly places in my state! We're taking a road trip this week and I've found a few places that will let us dine on the patio with him, I couldn't be more excited!!!



I digress......to answer your question I'm adding it up to about 5 - 6 hours, not counting the 7 or so hours of quality cuddle/sleep time to that.



Here's how it breaks down:

Walking - 1.5 hours (45 min in the morning, 45 min in the evening)

Petting - 15-30 minutes (in 5 minute periods)

Playing - 2 - 4 hours (even when I'm watching tv we'll go through his tricks or play fetch or ';find it';)

Running errands - 1 hour once or twice a week (I purposefully don't buy large bags of food or treats so we can go to the pet store frequently and work on his manners in public.)

Dog park - 1 hour once or twice a week



Extra credit time:

Once or twice a week we'll walk over to Pet Smart as part of our evening walk and sit in on a class with his former trainer. He was the teacher's pet so she likes to show off his obedience and tricks to her new classes to get them pumped up about training.



If we didn't have a stupid mortgage to pay for I'd quit my worthless job in a heartbeat and spend all day with him!
I am with mine pretty much all day. I have two. A female pit/lab mix and a spanish galgo. My pit is not very good with most other dogs so I can't take her everywhere with me like I do my male galgo but I am usually with both of them all day. I do not work though I am a stay at home mom. I only have one child so I have a lot of time. We go swimming and to the park and more.
Literally, the majority of the day.



Before I go to work we'll go on a run and when I come home from work I'll spend most of my time with her. I usually walk instead of using my car, so she'll usually go with me if I need to go some where. If I don't have to go out, we'll go to the park, we'll play in the yard, or we'll relax and watch TV.



Even during the eight hours I'm at work she won't be laying around by herself. My roommate keeps her company and plays with her when I'm gone.
Pretty much all day, but it is not always interactive. It can be a pat on the head as I go from one room to another. Taking them outside and on walks. Camping with us or going to the beach or check the mail. Training or playing with toys. Even just cuddling. It varies from day to day as some days I am busier than others, even if at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment