Sunday, December 11, 2011

How much did you spend to make your dog run?

My yard isn't fenced in but I don't have the money to completely fence it in. I'm thinking about putting up a chain-link dog run, long enough to play fetch (10ft?)



I was curious if anyone has built a similar sized chain link dog run, if so, around about how much did you spend?



P.S. I'm thinking a temporary or move-able dog run might be better, as we're renting and would like to take it with us if/when we move. I would love some suggestions, maybe how you built yours? How to do a move-able one?



Thanks! I'm available for IM or e-mail!How much did you spend to make your dog run?
I don't have a fenced yard either...but I can have my dogs loose to run about, we have 45acres. Yea, even with all that land..if Im not out there, my dogs are sitting by the porch, its only ';fun'; when I come out and start walking to the field.



You can specifically buy kennel panels, chain link panels..w/gates and build it as big as you want. They easily connect to each other w/basic tools. That will get expensive.

Since you will be out with your dogs get cattle fencing.

like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92258-307-70948_鈥?/a>



and the posts are easy to install and you just ';hook'; the fence on them.

If you get two rolles you will have 100foot area..in kennel panels that would be like a grand.How much did you spend to make your dog run?
One fallacy with fences is that when people put them up, they automatically assume the dog will get plenty of exercise for an hour or so when they let them out. This is SO not the case. Be out there with the dog running his butt off and wearing him out.



I think we spent a couple hundred $$ some years back when we had a fence built for my first two dogs.
How big of a dog are we talking about? Would some of those stiff-wire movable types that are hinged together work?? Like these: http://www.petco.com/product/5992/North-鈥?/a>



Then you could make it as small, or as large as you'd like.
about $100
PetCo has a portable dog run 7' x 12'; for about $275. You would just need to be sure it was fastened down securely,



http://www.petco.com/product/12985/PetSa鈥?/a>
If you want a moveable one, they sell chain link dog runs with 4 panels, each 10'L x10'Wx6'H for around $200 in pet supply stores and hardware stores. Depending on the dog's size, you may want two of these. Can't play fetch much in 10' unless you've got a small dog, but as long as you're playing with the dog, and the dog is reasonably obedient, you should be able to play in the open yard, and use the fenced area for when you need to let the dog do its business while you're not there, or just hang out for a while.
Unless you have a mini mini 10 feet isn't much room for a run. We have a 16x70 foot run for ours. It's for playing fetch and she has toys hanging from a tree as well as enough area to get a good run. I have what they call 6 foot hog or utility wire up secured to poles every 5 feet and buried a foot in the ground. We don't leave her out very long unsupervised for fear she will get bored and find a way out but it's a great area to tire her out. We spent around $300 for poles and wire.



ADD%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I had a 10x10 chain link dog pen that I ended up converting into a chicken pen and it cost around $200. My Akita Shepherd was able to chew apart chain link but for some reason didn't mess with the utility wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment