Sunday, December 11, 2011

How often do you give your dog bones/ things to chew on to keep their teeth clean?

Do you give your dog: Rawhide Chews, or Bones, or any smoked flavor bones from the pet stores? Or Do you ever buy them those beef soup bones at the grocery store *With the raw meat* ? Or those Rawhide Beef ';Alpo Chews'; that you get in the pet isle at the grocery store.



How often do you give the dog them, cause i dont wanna spoil her too much but I want her to have clean enough teeth and not to be so bored either. And by that i do walk her for at least an hour a day, if not more.

And take her out to play in a field, too!



Should i only give her bones like say 1-2 x a week or is say every 2-3 days alright or everyday? How often does your dog get them??How often do you give your dog bones/ things to chew on to keep their teeth clean?
My Dobermanns are given one large fresh beef bone with chunk of meat left on it daily, which keeps their teeth plaque free %26amp; pearly white.



You cannot miss the fact that dogs are carnivores are they chew, rip %26amp; grind on them.....



I have given my dog rawhide chews in the past, but have had to rescue them from the back of their throats when they became slimy %26amp; soft. I am sticking to beef bones now.How often do you give your dog bones/ things to chew on to keep their teeth clean?
To me, it's a way to brush my puppy's teeth. I buy special bones that are meant for cleaning teeth. I give my puppy one once a day.
My dogs are all raw fed - so they get bones in their food quite often - from chicken breasts to thigh quarters.



Never give a dog cooked bones, and try to stay away from raw beef bones - they are quite hard, and can break teeth.



Any of the good raw feeding sites will be able to tell you all about bones/dogs etc :)



Regards,

Pam
i give my dog a bone cookie a day...their supposed to be for clean teeth and better breath
I give my dogs meaty bones from the butchers twice a week.
we try to give my puppy a rawhide every few days so she always has something to chew on! then I give her dentastix every 3 days or so and the milk bones and treats 4 times a week!
i always buy my dog rope toys.. the people at petsmart say they're good because when they're chewing on them its like flossing their teeth.. and he plays with them everyday.
I used to give them raw bones once a week, but despite the raw bones, dental cleanings and brushings, they have managed to still lose their teeth. One doesn't even have any uppers left. She just lost her last canine tooth 3 days ago. I still give them raw bones, but now it's about once a month. Even the one with no teeth loves to gnaw on them.



I do NOT give them rawhides or any cooked bones as they are dangerous, but they get treats daily. I am always reinforcing obedience and they get rewarded.
I normally just give my dog a treat whenever he has finished a bath, finished doing his ';buisness'; outside, when he comes back from a walk, and other big events that you are proud of him for doing. Oh and give him an occasional treat just to make him/her happy:)
Once some times twice a week if he's lucky, I get the raw meaty bones from the butchers, like the soup bones.



I don't buy artificial bones, personally really hate the smell of them and have yet to find one that smells some what appealing, plus my dog is not a huge fan of them (my grandma bring them for him when she visits)
I give my dogs bones or rawhides once a week.
I give my puppies hide strips every other day for about an hour and only when I am there to supervise.



They absolutely love chewing on them and it is their quietest time!



I also clean my puppies teeth with my finger and a small amount of doggy toothpaste because small breeds are prone to dental problems.
It all depends on your dog I guess. My female yellow Labrador Retriever is a chewer. She is that type of dog, that if not properly stimulated, walked, played fetch with etc. will chew SOMETHING that is not wanted.( like my sandals for instance!) Some dogs just have a hyper chew need, and for her, we give her lots of bones.



We alternate from giving her beef soup bones, and just plain rawhide bones that you can buy from any store. These types of bones probably are not the BEST for her (like Alpo Cheweez) but she likes them, so I figure it's better she has something to chew than to be chewing something unwanted.



Cleaning your dogs teeth with a small child's toothbrush also helps, bones can only do so much, and tartar build up will still happen, so we do that with my dogs. If you start from a young age, or even with a very laid back dog, they will get used to the routine. I don't even use dog toothpaste, I just use water, and it seems to work so far.



Giving your dog one to two rawhides, bones etc should be fine in keeping her happy.
My dog likes these click here http://promotions.petsmart.com/landing/greenies/ and these http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3161129%26amp;lmdn=Brand. When she was a puppy we would give her one a week now we give her them once a month. You should give her them about twice a week.
The best way to keep your dog's teeth clean is to brush them after meals. There are special toothpastes and brushes just for dogs. They get plaque and tartar just like people. Think if chewing a bone would keep your teeth clean. I know what the packages say, but aren't they just trying to sell their product to worried pet owners?
I get those regular smoked bones at the pet store... Don't give your dog any kind of RAW meat... My dogs always have a bone to chew on and there toys are always available...



I like the natural bones because that's what dogs would naturally chew on to keep there teeth clean... And even if you make the bone available all the time they will only chew on it when they want to...

No comments:

Post a Comment