Sunday, December 11, 2011

Favourite summer-time activities with your dog(s)?

So summer is getting near and I am SO excited to spend lots of time outdoors with my puppy!



We've been on some short hikes since the temperatures have risen and it isn't so snowy/slippery on the trails, so we'll most definitely be doing lots more hiking. I just ordered a small set of collapsible food/water dishes which are great.



Camping is another favourite activity of mine, so I'm definitely looking forward to taking my little buddy with me on some short camping trips.



I'm hoping he's a swimmer, it would be great to play fetch with him in the water at the beach too! I'm thinking of getting a small kiddie pool for the backyard, and see how he takes to it.



What are your favourite nice/warm weather activities that you and your dog(s) enjoy?Favourite summer-time activities with your dog(s)?
Going to the beach!! With UV spray for the dogs as well! lol my dobie is scared of the ocean but LOVES to dig the sand. It'll be our minpin's first time at the beach, but I'm excited to see her reaction - kinda like letting your kids drink sprite for the first time, lol (not that I have any kids.. just tried it out on my younger sister when she was little).



and of course, going for walks, since both my dogs don't like the cold weather and would rather sit about lazy in the house during the winters.Favourite summer-time activities with your dog(s)?
Well I'm only 10 but I love to play with my 2 year old dachshund, Franky! We love to go swimming in my pond in front of my house and just race! He always wins.
Grass-rolling. I know it sounds weird, but all 3 of my APBTs are avid grass-rollers. Sometimes I figure ';If you can't beat 'em, join 'em'; and I'll get down and dirty in the grass too. They get so excited to see me lying down with them in the back yard....it's the highlight of their lives, I swear. And, it's funny to watch them take turns jumping over me.



And, frisbee. All 3 of them go nuts when they see a frisbee.
Canoeing, hiking, fishing. I might try to take him in a motor boat out on the lake by me this year, otherwise I canoe in a pond and he follows. Getting him a life jacket though, cause I don't know If I could save him if his muscles cramped up or something.



I also love camping, and am hoping to do that with my dog too, since I'll have all summer to spend with him. (It's a long story, if you wish to know about it, just e-mail me and I'll share it with you.)
We LOVE going to the lake!!!

They have large fields of mowed grass to run on and a safe bank to go into the water. We take their leads and crates and picnic at the lake. My Westie has a life jacket that he loves to wear and swim in the lake with. Plus its a wonderful way to socialize your pup, there are so many different people, dogs and noises to intrique them =)



PS: I would love to find a hiking trail near me, Im not sure how to find one that allows dogs that also isnt so remote that it doesnt have signs =) anyone can email me if you know a website, ect to look. Thanx!
I can't wait to take my Pom outside to work on fetch, she LOVES to play it inside the house. I also really would love to get her training in Agility Classes next summer I think she would really do well in it.

Until then though I found some fun agility games to play with her this summer that I can't wait to try.
Actually we used a kids sandbox for the doggie pool. It was a sturdier plastic then the kiddie pools we saw. The dogs just love it. We live in a cold, snowy climate as well so the first thing we are going to do, if it ever dows get warm again, is go outside and stare at the sun!!! LOL

Our dogs are big soft frisbee players, so many hours doing that, plus the doggie picnics! I pack my own lunch, and treats, water bottles for the dogs, (I'm wheelchair bound) and we just go outside, under the tree and have a picnic. Not too exciting, but we enjoy it.
The doggie beach they just love to dive in the water.
Well...



This summer i am going to play fetch with my dogs...and get a little kiddie pool for them too cool off in and ill make them frozen treats =] and run around with them...and me and my brother made up a game to play with our 10 mo. old puppy he tries to sniff us out when we are hiding! and ill watch them chase birds and stuff! and they love getting treats from the mailman! i love my doggies!
I am with you on the camping issue. I actually have a small travel trailer and am presently looking forward to a beach trip very soon. Not all dogs like it. Our Chihuahua hates it with a passion. He shakes and acts like an idiot the best of times, but when camping he goes all to pieces. Plus he gets carsick. Our Lab hates it, hates the ocean, for no reason, and especially hates little dogs with strange older folks walking them. My best camper is a mixed breed terrier, who won't go near the water, but loves car rides, loves long walks on the beach, doesn't try to attack anyone. Good Luck, it will be interesting to see what your dog likes best.
going the park and sunbathing in the garden. Two things my dogs love
My dog Jake loves to go outdoors to beach and tons of walking places. My dog loves to go knees deep so he goes in the water then comes out again. My dog is quite a woose so as soon as he gets cold he will start whimpering. Love to take frisbies and chuck them and sunbathe at the same time. If thats your dog in the pic its soo cute!
Running the fields in front of my house. Throw the Frisbee (she being better than me...lol).

But most favorite thing we love to do is dance with the hose pipe. she soaks me every time then drops it for me to take my turn. Cools her off and we have so much fun.

Now we will have nicer more enjoyable walks due to the weather!

Fun Question Thanks.......
I like to sit on my hammoc and read while my puppy is tied (pretty long rope) with some toys food and water under a tree and plays and sometimes he sits with me on the hammoc and naps we go swimming and we either walk around and bounce a little on my black trampolean or take a nap in the sun the black soaks up we plant gardens, on command he digs and I put in the seed, we have races, I pull him on the wagon we camp in my cabbin I have, I have a trail from my yard to the river which my cabbin is there and its flooded alot so its all sand and while I make a sandcastel he digs we fish thats our food (all year long in the summer we live in the small cabin and hunt for our own food Fargo my dog gets the raw diet and much more! HAVE A NICE SUMMER AS I DO! AND YOUR DOG TOO!
camping. we bought a 28 ft motor home so we can take the Fab 5 with us. funny thing though. we still sleep in a tent. the dogs get the beds in the RV.



COSMO: excellent reminders !! lets not forget the rabies risks too.
As summer comes around I must emphasize this point below:

Keep a close eye on the pug and short nose breeds. They need to be kept cool and have fresh water available.

Also any long coated dog and thick coated dog you should also be careful they can overheat quite quickly and that is very dangerous.

Also dark dogs such as blues, black, chocolate(brown)..ECT. Dark colors get hotter quicker and you want to keep them cool so they don't overheat.



Walk your dogs in the cooler part of the day when it isn't hot.



For any dog keep them cool and have plenty of water available to them.





Now onto the answer: I swim with my dogs(I supervise them at all times, i am always right with them). I also take them on longer walks in the early morning when it is cool outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment