Sunday, December 11, 2011

How did you learn how to train your dog?

How did you guys learn how to train dogs? Did you read books, watch videos, go to obedience classes, get help from friends, teach yourself ect. Post some links if you want! :)



I've basically taught myself with the help of various videos and online books. I'm not a pro yet as I've only recently just started.



So what about you guys? How long have you been training dogs for?



*Bonus: What tricks/commands do your dogs know?



Indi knows the basics such as sit, stay, down, come, heel, off and a few others like shake, beg, beg and wave, wave, cross paws (her favourite!), roll over, she knows how to jump over a skipping rope, crawl, fetch, ';where's Coco?!'; she goes and puts her paw on her back, play dead... and a few more haha.



Please star if you have contacts who are into dog training.How did you learn how to train your dog?
I have trained all of my dogs. All of them were taken to training classes and I practised at home almost every day; I also read books and bought videos. Regardless of what you do and how much one practises, there are still tips and new teaching methods to learn about. I have used a clicker for about twelve years now, if you go to YouTube you can see the results of this. On the search bar type in 9Rhubarb9 and see Hanna my GSD strutting her stuff.How did you learn how to train your dog?
i tought my self after watching a few videos on youtube and reading a bunch of books i decided they all sucked lol and that my dogs needed a more intense training. they are just to smart and concentrated for the training that they show in the books and youtube i have to train my dog like 5 different tricks at once and instead of her loosing attention in 2 minutes she never really looses it i just stop at like 15 minutes max because i dont want her eating too many treats and sometimes i just use the kibble from her dog food and subtract the ones i fed her that day because thats how long she can train for. and one of my dogs i swear could understand english i never had to train her a day in my life [ i got her at 3 months untrained] and she will do anything i tell her. English springer spaniels are just amazing dogs.



i do go online though for trick ideas lmao like for what to teach my dog next because i run out of ideas
Well my dog was trained by my dad....so im not sure how she was trained..



but PetSmart has dog training classes......



check them out:)



http://training.petsmart.com/





hope this helps :)
I started with the videos and books and eventually ended up taking a course. Prior to taking the course I already had my own professional pet sitting business so I often used methods I learned from the books and videos. After taking a course though I realized that there is so much more to training on a professional level than what I had learned by doing my own research. Now I have incorporated training into my pet sitting and plan on adding grooming sometime in the future. In addition to my already large pet sitting clientele I have built up quite a business by incorporating the training with problem adult dogs or puppies. My pet sitting clientele is often amazed at the wonderful behavior of an otherwise unruly dog when they return from their trip. Now if I can only find time to work more with my own!!
by watching experts and famous pet companies dog training videos and by watching a dog trainer
My dad taught me how to teach the basics.. sit, stay, lay down. The rest was trial and error, i never had any classes around where i live or get any books. With my first dog it was a case of throwing everything against a wall and seeing what sticks! Didn't have the internet then either. It was a lot of fun and frustrating at times but he got trained. Only thing i couldn't train him on was digging under the fence and running away for hours at a time, that was ultimately his demise..

I got my first dog of my own when i was 8, so that would be 13 years so far.

Sit, stay, down, give me your paw, heel, come, roll over, drop it, look (at me), leave it, Up(after sitting or laying down).. i never really got into teaching him 'tricks' except the roll over and paw thing. I'm sure he would still be willing to learn but he gets a lot more enjoyment from chasing a tennis ball.

I never had to teach him a command for 'fetch', just threw the ball, he chased it and caught it, then told him to 'come' and 'drop it'. A few times giving verbal cues for that and he did it automatically. I have never used any verbal cues when playing fetch since.

If i say to him 'Where's ******' he will look towards the door or out the window and cock his head to the side.



Down, stay and look with the temptation of a tennis ball..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2500/4019…



Leave it..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2472/4019…
Well i read books and on the internet i read a few stuff. You start of doing those techniques then you

get to know your dog more and can do it independently. I then started going to dog clubs and learned

how to get the dogs attention and trust my dog now knows:

Heel,sit,stay,fetch,crawl,speak,growl,… paws and head down.

Teaching your dog new tricks is fun!, i'm weening my GSD of the treat training now because he is 13 months and i am making him do the tricks and get a game after, and once it's in their head they work for fun after they will do tricks in real life scenarios. I'm impressed i havent taught my dog some of the tricks you have mentioned.
I learned to train dogs before there was such a thing as the Internet or videos. The first dog training book that I ever bought was ';Training You to Train Your Dog'; by Blanche Saunders. The second was ';The Koehler Method of Dog Training'; by William Koehler. I was in the 4th grade. My favorite library book was ';The Training of Lassie'; by Rudd Weatherwax. I started training the family dog, neighbor's dogs and just about any dog that I could get my hands on using those methods. I have since softened my methods by adding food and a clicker to the techniques. So I have been training dogs since the late '60's. I still learn by reading books, watching video, attending seminars, and training dogs. The older I get the more I learn.



Bonus: My dogs know many different commands as I do many things with them. They have commands for rally, obedience, agility, and hunting. So I'll give you a list of some of their tricks. They can climb a ladder, sneeze on command, pick up trash and put it in the garbage, pick up clothes and put them in the basket, turn on/off the lights, and open the door.
Well, there used to be a group of trained dogs that met in the park. If I remember correctly it was 3 Labs, A golden, a Scottie, and a GSD. The owner of two of the Labs was a dog trainer, and I was a 10 year old kid. I would walk with my mom, and Harlee would play, and Harlee learned his basic training from what the trainer told me to do, and effective ways to train. But it was ';praise and treat method';. So after a year or so, the group left beuase of park-nazis reporting off leash dogs. I haven't sen any of them, I moved and they walked other places. Except I did see the Scotty owner once, by knocking on the door of the wrong house. So then I had a dog walking business when I was around 12. It was me and a friend, and we did it because we go bored of our dogs and wanted to walk other dogs. My firend was using a prong, and I thought I might as well use a choke, I had thought they were ';mean to the widdle doggies'; up to that point. It was awesome. At that point, Harlee knew Sit, Liedown, Roll over, Come stay, shake. But he wasnt as proficient on them back then, because I used all positive correction. Then the dbusiness broke, I moived got busy, etc. (I still do walk a Newfoundland) Then in the last few years I became very interested in dog training. I have read many books, from Koheler to Gundog training, (for techniques). Koheler was my favorite by far. I also started using negative reinforcement. Im glad I did, because he listens *much* better now. He know knows stay, come, sitstay, shake, ';dance';, jump, kiss, speak, sit, rollover, lie down, bow, and crawl, and various sled dog commands. Then I started mushing, and even though my Lab dosent pull as well as a Husky, I love it. I hope to train sled dogs for the rest of my life. ?

No comments:

Post a Comment