Sunday, December 11, 2011

How did you treat your dog (or dogs in general) when you were little?

I was looking through some pictures with my mom from when I was little and she told me about how I treated my dog. We have always had a lot of dogs, but when I was little I got mad at my dad for not having one that was only mine. So for my fifth birthday, he got me a mutt from a shelter. Because of the size he had as a puppy, dad thought he鈥檇 be about the size of a Border Collie. Let just say, I realized early that dads can be wrong鈥?and that my mutt had some Irish Wolfhound in him.



My mom told me, and I kind of remember, that I insisted on doing everything myself, even though mom and dad never expected me to. Because it was MY dog. I fed him, groomed him and took him for walks by myself. I think mom and dad had to redo a lot of it when I wasn鈥檛 looking though, lol. When I took him for walks I always wanted him to be on a leash, even though it was physically impossible to make him leave my side. And we had tea-parties in the garden and went swimming together in the lake near our house.



I realize now that we were very lucky when it comes to him. Even as a pup he was extremely calm and very protective of me. He never let strange people or dogs come near me unless my dad was there as well. I also had a habit of falling asleep on him (he a great pillow) and then he鈥檇 growl at the other dogs when they came to play with me.



He 16 years now, and has gone almost blind and has stiff joints, and I realize he might not be around by next year. That really breaks my heart.



But back to the question. My parents tell me that my sisters and brother didn鈥檛 treat the dogs that patiently when they were little, and I see that my nephew is also a bit rough with the dogs. The only dog we dare let him play with is the GSD/BC mix we have. How do kids normally treat dogs?How did you treat your dog (or dogs in general) when you were little?
depends on the kid and the dog and all kinds of stuff

mean kids are mean to the dogs unless they love dogs

nice kids are nice unless they hate dogs

but mostly if they see the dog as entertainment or another living thing

most kids are impatient so they probably get mad if the dog doesn't listen

also the dog is a big thing dogs that don't want to play dont want to play and thats that

if a kid wants to play and the dog doesnt that may make the kid get mean with the dog like rough housing with it.

if i were you just lay down boundrys and tell them to be careful with the dogs and dont get to crazy and its a good idea to keep the older dog away





hope i helped

and i'm sorry for you and your older dogHow did you treat your dog (or dogs in general) when you were little?
My nephew is the sweetest thing in the world. BUT I want to hit him when he's around my dogs. He's not patient, they don't like him and he teases them. My other nephew is the same age and he is GREAT with animals. He is a natural caregiver. My niece is really a little spitfire and she is somehwhere in between. I think everyone is different.
i treat my dog care.
I use to smack up my dog...he used to chew up all my crap...he's dead now..and u wonder why
i remeber when i was a kid id take a ride on my dogs back id play around with them all the time.

and id always say dogs are not mans best friend THEIR MY BEST FRIEND
I played and petted it like I do now.
kids usually dont realize what they do can be harmful to a dog. many kids just play a run and pull their tails. when they get a dog for them selves they often lose interest when it comes to any training or feeding and the usual things. i always wanted a dog when i was little and always played with any i saw. i mostly tried fetch. i thought it was so cool if they played fetch. second was tug of war because i usually couldnt get the toy back. i love dogs still but i cant afford one because i dont have a job and the place i live im not allowed but hopefully in a few months i can get one and play with it and take it swimming and such. im very jealous of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment