Sunday, December 11, 2011

Has your dog ever done this?

I was showing my daughter how to do push ups when my beagle bit me on the arm. Fortunately I had thick pajamas and housecoat on. There was no playing or any way exciting the dog. He didn't seem angry, but bit me so hard that my arm is swollen from about 3 inches below the elbow to the wrist. If I didn't have the clothing on, I'm certain blood would have been drawn. What do you think would cause this behavior? He has some problems with behavior like peeing on the carpet when we are not giving him full attention. His play biting can be pretty hard, but I have never had a bite like this with playing. Any advice?Has your dog ever done this?
Your dog should never bite. Even when playing. The play biting is only teaching him biting is okay. You need to correct this behavior immediately.Has your dog ever done this?
he could be protective of your daughter, and thought you were going to hurt her because it did not know what you are doing if this is the first time you've showed her push ups
your dog was protecting your daughter!



My dog Dakota does this too but she has never bitten anyone. She protects me though. She is also a rottie shepherd/husky mix.



Next time maybe help your daghter where yor beagle can't get too.
Is he possibly protective of your daughter? I know that some dogs get really protective of children so he could have mistaken your actions for something else. I'm not certain... I haven't had a dog of my own do this to me!
My dog use to do this to. He would bite and pee on the carpets. My trick was you have to give the dog attention. That is the only way. Like pick up your beagle and hug him. Play with for a while. The only way a dog is friendly is the way you treat them. Since I started to show my dog love he never did anything again!
he might have been trying to protect your daughter thinking she was being threatened. beagles are very protective dogs especially over the children i don't know why my moms dog is the same way if anyone touches her or anyone else in the family her dogs goes nut and will climb walls to get at you its strange but we know hes just trying to protect us and he doesnt know better.
Becareful, show that dog whats right and whats wrong, don't let that face fool you. Don't over do it though. Give it love and respect so it could trust you. You don't know who it could be next.
Perhaps your dog was confused and didn't know what to do. Correct the ';too hard'; play biting by yelping and ignoring the dog when he bites. Training classes could help build his confidence so he shouldn't mind too much when you aren't looking at him for a second. They're a good idea at any rate. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment