Sunday, December 11, 2011

Playing tug game with dogs - article says let dog win?

I have a GSD and we have always been taught that we shouldn't play tug games with our dogs, and if we do we should always win. I was checking out something and found this website that says we are doing it wrong, we should always play tug games, and the dog should always win, we should never allow ourselves to win. Read the article (it is quite long) and tell me what you think of its reasoning, It's very interesting.





http://www.naturaldogblog.com/blog/2007/鈥?/a>Playing tug game with dogs - article says let dog win?
I've been playing tug with all my dogs for decades now and I've always let the dog win some of the time. There's nothing wrong with playing tug or with letting the dog win unless you've got an extremely dominant or aggressive dog. I've never found letting the dog win to be a problem. But I'm the one in charge because I get out the tug toys and I decide when the game's over and the dog has to ';give'; the toy to me to be put away for next time.





The article made a lot of really good points - something all those who love to play ';alpha'; games with their dogs by flipping them on their backs for every little thing, should read!Playing tug game with dogs - article says let dog win?
You shouldn't do either. You let dogs win, they think they are the boss of you. You keep fighting, it teaches them aggression. Tug games aren't good, especially w/ puppies.





sorry.
I read the first paragraph... This person seems VERY paranoid....





';To be FULLY protected you should wear (at a minimum) some durable leather gloves, a long-sleeve shirt, pants, and close-toed shoes/boots. The facemask is probably a bit overboard, but hey, it never hurts to be cautious.';





If you accidentally get bitten, the worst thing thats going to happen is just a little cut..... Im not getting all decked out to play tug of war with my dog... Especially a FACEMASK.








I dont really let my dog win or lose every time, whoever wins, wins.
I have a dobe and I would never let him win. I have to admit i have not read the article but I dont agree the dog should win especially a dominant breed. I just taught my dog to 'give' before we played tug games and now, even when very excited, if things look like they will get out of hand i just say give and he does.


This way things always end on a positive for him as he gets a 'good-boy' and with me winning/having the toy.
I do find the article interesting. I've always heard that we should always win and not the dog. I don't necessarily follow either. There are times where I let my dogs win, and others when I win. It all depends on how excited they are and just how badly they want what we're tugging on. I personally think some people put far too much emphasis on the tug game. They treat it as though you can have a very well behaved dog and once you start letting your dog win, he/she will then become an unmanageable tyrant.





The reasoning in the article is interesting, but of course it fails to address certain aspects of the tug game. For instance, what exactly may be going on in the dogs head. Sure, it can release stress and give the dog satisfaction in winning, but that doesn't mean that negatives couldn't come out of it as well. I want my dogs to be happy just as much as the next person, but if making my dog happy by letting her win the tug game means she will become dominant, then i'd rather pass. I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning on either side of the argument, and while the article is well written and thought out, it still doesn't touch on necessary points that are outlined in other articles that state just the opposite.





I also agree with the statement about paranoia regarding the tugging game. I certainly don't walk around playing with my dogs wearing long sleeves and thick leather gloves. I've had an accidental bite every now and then but even with my GSD mix, the skin has never been broken. But of course, to each his own.
I understand the concept of a predator-prey model, but I feel like the author doesn't spend any time explaining why that model applies. Maybe I'm thinking too much like a human, or whatever, but somehow I doubt my dog sees me as a predator. I'm all down for letting my dog get some confidence, but the logic here seems a little farfetched. If your dog sees you as the provider and keeper of objects that you give or take at will, your dog will be more eager to please you. Just my two cents, anyway.
Very interesting indeed. I hope it doesn't become a popular thing to read, because it will cause the death of many dogs.





As we all know, the job of being a domestic pet requires no biting. What they describe is the fastest way to the wrong end of the shelter.





Stupidity really knows no limits.
When dogs are playing, they let each other win at odd intervals. Have you ever seen a huge dog playing tug with a tiny puppy? The puppy will be allowed to win some of the time, probably more than the dog will win. My little dog plays chase with small children, and she's a lot faster than they are- so occasionally she will do an exaggerated 'run' that is slower than a walk, and she will allow them to catch her.








Let your dog win some of the time, but if your dog decides to let you win that's fine too- it means you have a well-behaved dog and you should reward him for it. The game's not as much fun for the dog if the ending is completely predictable, or if there's no element of playful competition.





About the growling in the article- some dogs have a huge, over-the-top play growl which is only used while playing and has nothing to do with aggression. You should be able to tell between your dog's serious growl (which will mean an end to the game) and the play-growl which means he's having fun.
only play no one has to win the dog only wants to play
the first answer is the best I think. Do let the dog win though. You are just playing for fun. I know a way to win without teaching the dog aggression. Say your dog's name and say, ';Want a treat? '; They will let go. They will run to where the treats are. You will win. But,let them win!
Yeh, I have read that article before.





Not quite my philosophy but I do, and have always, played tug-of-war with my dogs.





Sometimes I let my dogs win, other times I dont.





I dont believe that I should *always* let my dogs win.





My dogs play it with each other also, its a great workout.
you should never let your dog win because if they win there are going to think that there their the dominant one and the dog is not your master your there master and don't let them think that the dog has more power than you so its easier to trian them to.
I am sorry, but I think this guy is insane.





I have played tug with all my dogs and I have had 100 lb GSDs. It is a game, it is always kept as a game. (This is different if you are raising protection dogs)


#1. I do not get dressed in combat gear to play with my dog.


#2. Many dogs use growling in their play, Some dogs even growl as a way of doggy laughter. My dogs are allowed to play growl all they want. It is my job to know when the growl changes and stop the game.


#3. I let ';win'; sometimes. but every tug game ends with me. I say enough, the dog stops, drops the tug, and gets rewarded. My dogs know that it is a game and not a way to get something from me. They also know the game ends when I say so.





I have never been bitten by a dog playing tug, (again, they are not protection dogs so I am not trying to increase their drive, that is another technique) But I do know how to read a dog to stop a game if the dog should get overstimulated. Or if it escalated into a challenge.
l read the article which was tedious but interesting in parts but certainly not what l do and that covers 40 years but am always open to new ideas.


Every few months new books come out giving new ideas on training dogs,playing with dogs,raising dogs,feeding dogs.


Really you have to be comfortable of how YOu interact with your animals be they puppies or adults all are different in some ways.


A puppy loves to play a tug of war BUT you have to be careful as too rough and their milk teeth will come out and if it is a shy submissive puppy l always let it win to encourage a little confidence in the pup but if it is the most dominant in the litter l alternate sometimes it may win but rarely. It is a GAME and nothing else.You are NOT going to create a alpha dog or the submissive dog by play of this kind.


When older dogs play with pups you will find that sometimes they will allow the pup to win esp if it the Mother of the young dog in question.


if it is adult dogs who are testing out their strength between them that is their problem not yours and do not interfere.


When it comes to you and tug of war or whatever,never allow a dominant or potentially alpha dog win as to his mentality he has just scored points off you and if you continue to show your so called submissiveness he will eventually push you in other areas.


All these natural rearing natural training etc are interesting and you can take a bit form here and a bit from there and you will have well adjusted dogs If you feed,train correctly and raise them properly from the time you get them as a puppy as the raising determines what a dog is going to be like.Get a hard cruel person who is loud and abusive to a puppy y ou will end p with a poor adjusted dog with a poor temperament.


The training of puppies from the time they are weaned by the Breeder is all important as not only has Mother dog taught them things you as a Breeder than continue to teach them the basics and sometimes what works with 3 puppies may not be applicable to one or two of the others.


Like humans we do not treat everyone the same way,that would be ridiculous.


Every year new ideas new training methods of potty training like wee pads come along but in the end the old fashioned gentle method of training pups results in a well adjusted well tempered dog that is a joy to have and a Companion for a long time.


As for the put on the appropriate clothes re playing that is the most ridiculous thing l have heard of.l rough house with my dogs certainly not in my Sunday Best but in the clothing l have on and that is never the most expensive clothes.You do not need gloves to play with your dog whether a tug of war or whatever that is ludicrous.When l have a litter of puppies everyone knows as l end up with scratches and small little bites not intentional but they grow out of it and l train them out of it quick smart.


Excessive energy requires mainly long long walks and doing activities with your dog not allowing it to so call exercise itself in the backyard as it will not and what is the point of having a dog if you are going to do that.


Some idiot asked on this site is there any way that h er dog could be trained to wee inside instead of being taken outside? HA HA,should not have a dog l thought.


l keep up with most vt articles as l get them at work and we are always inundated with new books passed onto us for appraisal re training or whatever.


My personal viewpoint is l train my dogs and puppies in the manner l feel comfortable with and l train other peoples dogs given what problem exists which is usually the owner..


You believe that in any play tug of war not to allow the dog to win,perhaps with GSD which is a Breed where you can have dominance issues like my breed you do this but l am sure you work out for yourself that when it is a very very submissive dog surely to build its confidence you allow it to win.


l am pack leader in this household including my husband but my dogs have me well trained too in that they know exactly how far they can go by pushing me and what to do and what not to do,my dogs respect me as their owner ,friend and leader.
There are certain breeds in which this is only play, but for others it can get rough. Course it all depends on the dog's personality as well.





the author of this article seems paranoid about playing w/a dog anyways....(all the ';safety gear'; suggested) which i find ridiculous actually. if you need that much safety gear to play a simple game maybe it's the wrong game to play w/your dog!





When i've played tug of war, i let my dog win the toy some of the time, but not all the time. I've done this for years and years.


Honestly i don't think the author has much experience at all when it comes to dogs, or the only dog they played tug of war w/had a very high prey drive and things got out of hand.





Also about the growling, my catahoula leopard dog (all 75 lbs of him) love to play tug of war, he's not an aggressive dog, but his 'play growl' is very startling for people that are not used to it, but i know darn well that's all it is...play. i've heard his REAL growl, and it's a lot more serious...one of those hair standing up on the back of your neck growls. he's only every done that while protecting me, not playing tug of war.
You can do either.


I've done both.


There is no ';right'; or ';wrong'; way to play tug of war with your dog, haha :)


God Bless, hope I helped you! Good Luck.. %26lt;3
There's NOTHING wrong with tug games, every single Police Service Dog and Schutzhund dog's favorite game is tug. The dog should always win BUT, it should also be clear the tug toy is YOURS. Mid tug, full focus, when I tell my dogs to release the tug they do so immediately. If you want to cruise a worthwhile GSD site try Leerburg.com...they sell tugs btw, lol. Tug work = foundation to bitework but more importantly tugs and balls on a rope help build drive for obedience as well as manwork and is the perfect reward (watch any narcotics K-9 team work the ';prize'; is always a ball or tug).

No comments:

Post a Comment